Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Spinach & Bacon Crustless Quiche

I love quiche. LOVE love it. I don't miss the crust one bit either.

Ingredients:
1 cup of cooked spinach, drained
1 lb bacon
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated parmesan
10 eggs
2 1/2 cups half & half
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375. I bake mine in my Pampered Chef deep covered baker stoneware greased with olive oil.

Slice your bacon crosswise into bite size pieces, throw into a pan, and cook until crisp. Remove from pan & drain.

Layer the bacon, spinach, & cheeses. I layer like I would a lasagna so that every bite gets a full helping of spinach & bacon. Bacon, spinach, cheese, bacon, spinach, cheese.. Depending on the depth of the dish you're using, you'll have at least 2 and possibly 3 layers.

Beat the eggs, then add half & half and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Pour the egg mixture over the layered ingredients. I take a spoon and push it straight down in a few places just to get the egg mixture into all of the crevices faster.

Bake in oven for 45 minutes. When I bake in the deep covered baker it is NOT set in the middle at this point. For some reason I have a perpetual problem with getting the middle of a quiche cooked so I pop it in the microwave for about 8 minutes and it firms up the middle. I pop it back in the oven for another 10 minutes & then call it. The middle might be a little moister than the edges, but it'll continue to cook after removed from the oven, and if you're reheating throughout the week it'll definitely get cooked when heated up in the microwave.

Adjust cooking time depending on the depth of what you're baking in, but 45 minutes should be the minimum it'll take even in a shallower dish.

1 comment:

  1. Giving this a shot today....I'm curious to see how it comes out. I'll be sure to let you know!

    P.S. I considered putting some mushrooms in it, but decided not to since the wife wouldn't eat it if I did. LOL

    ReplyDelete